11 Foods That Can Cause Heartburn
Foods That May Help Relieve Heartburn
While many foods can make your heartburn worse, there are several foods that may help relieve symptoms.
Here are some foods that may help relieve heartburn:
- Ginger: This is a natural remedy for nausea and vomiting. While there is limited evidence about ginger’s effects on heartburn, it may help reduce reflux ().
- Bananas and melons: These fruits are naturally low in acid and are often recommended to reduce reflux ().
- Green veggies: Naturally low in fat, acid and sugar, green veggies include green beans, broccoli, spinach and celery ().
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is packed with fiber, which is linked to a lower risk of acid reflux. This fiber does not contain FODMAPs, so does not cause belching or reflux (25, ).
- Grains and potatoes: Research has found that consuming grains and potatoes is linked to a 42% lower risk of gastroesophageal reflux disease ().
SUMMARYWhile many foods can make your heartburn symptoms worse, there are plenty of foods that may ease heartburn symptoms. These include ginger, bananas and melons, veggies, oatmeal, grains and potatoes.
The Bottom Line
Heartburn is a symptom of acid reflux. It affects millions of Americans every month.
Many foods can cause heartburn by relaxing the lower esophageal sphincter, a ring-like muscle that acts as a barrier between the esophagus and stomach.
If you experience heartburn frequently, try removing some of the foods in this list from your diet to see if your symptoms improve.
It’s a good idea to keep a food diary so you can track which foods give you heartburn.
You can also try adding foods to your diet that help relieve heartburn, such as bananas, melons, oatmeal, grains, potatoes, ginger and green veggies.